Members of Parliament from Northern Uganda have called upon government to immediately halt attacks on the Lord's Resistance Army bases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Uganda, Southern Sudan and Congolese government troops launched aerial attacks against the LRA on Sunday. The intention of the attacks, according to the army, is to force Kony and his troops to surrender.
Uniting under the Greater North Parliamentary Association, several MPs today (Tuesday) condemned the onslaught. Addressing a news conference in Kampala they said the offensive has removed hope of bringing peace to Northern Uganda and has threatened the relative security established over the past two years.
Hassan Fungaroo, chairperson of the Greater North Parliamentary Association, called the offensive iunfortunatei. He said fear has spread among hundreds of people who left camps for the internally displaced in the hope of resuming their lives in the countryside.
//Cue in: iWe condemn #i
Cue out: i# can be overcome peacefully.i//
However the Government of Uganda is relentless in its plan.
Foreign Affairs Minister Sam Kuteesa, addressing his own news conference today (Tuesday) said the attacks were intended to force the LRA back to the negotiating table, which they abandoned late last year after almost 20 years of peace talks.
//Cue in: iWe are putting pressure #i
Cue out: i# process back on track.i//
Kuteesa said the offensive was prompted by intelligence information that the LRA was regrouping and training in the DRC and abducting Congolese nationals.
According to the Minister, it is not clear if there have been any casualties or how many people are dead or wounded. He said the attacks were targeted specifically at camps at which combatants were staying, steering clear of civilians.
juba peace talks