More than 50 residents of Tegwana parish, Pece division in Gulu Municipality were this afternoon left homeless after fire razed their huts.
The fire that started at around 3:00pm reduced 8 huts to ash.
One of the victims, Monica Awino said the fire was started by a 17-year-old girl who was cooking in one of the huts.
She says that te fire spread rapidly to other huts because of the strong and dry grass that was used to thatch the huts.
She said she tried to save some few properties from the huts but was defeated by the fire that was being reinforced by the strong wind.
However residents of the area mobilized themselves and fought the fire before it spread to other huts.
Most of the owners of the huts were not at home at the time of the incident.