Several lives have been lost as a result of the flickering candle fires, the deputy fire officer, Simon Peter Musoke, has said.
Several lives have been lost as a result of the flickering candle fires, the deputy fire officer, Simon Peter Musoke, has said. According to Musoke, 28 people were injured in fires started off by candles left burning in residential homes. Majority of the causalities are children who when a fire starts, run to either cupboards or sneak under the beds.
//Cue in: Most people underrate candles…”
Cue out:… children are already dead.”//
Continuous loadshedding coupled with the careless handling of candles has made some homes more vulnerable to fires. A survey carried out by Uganda Radio Network, show that majority of the people don’t seem to have tips for careful use of candles. Many homes have neither candle sticks nor candle jars to protect the home from naked flames.
Musoke says most people recklessly place candles near combustible objects.
Electrical appliances have been attributed to some of the major fires that were recorded this year. According to the fire officer, an estimated one thousand and ninety fires were recorded this year alone. This is slightly higher compared to the 931 fires recorded in 2010.
He says fires stemming from electrical appliances are triggered by poor wire connection, including loose and unprofessionally done connections, insulated and un inspected connections and power fluctuations. Fires sparked off by deep fryers are common in commercial kitchens.
Charcoal stoves and charcoal vending stores are also main fire causers especially in single rooms since residents cook from inside. Musoke has advised the public to ensure their homes secured from eventualities as they leave homes for prayers or go upcountry for Christmas. He said that there is need to double check the electric appliances and ensure they are all unplugged or completely switched off.
Cue out: They should not lock …”
//Cue out:… fire outbreaks in the houses.”//
The Kampala Metropolitan area including Kampala, Wakiso and Mukono contribute atleast 65 percent of all the fire emergencies in the country. Musoke says this is due to the high population density and the economic development.
30 residential deaths in 2011
deputy fire officer simon peter musoke