The Director of Public Prosecutions—DPP has been given up to Tuesday to either present his remaining 5 witnesses on or else he will be compelled to close the terrorism case against the 18 Buganda youths who reportedly participated in the September 2009 riots.
High court has granted the Director of Public Prosecutions—DPP a last chance to either present his remaining 5 witnesses on Tuesday or else he will be compelled to close the terrorism case against the 18 Buganda youths who reportedly participated in the September 2009 riots.
This was after State Attorney Vincent Wagona informed presiding judge Ralph Ochan on Monday that he had been unable to secure the attendance of these witnesses since Wednesday last week on the basis that they are not sure of the safety of their lives after testifying.
Wagona further said that the DPP cannot compel these witnesses against their will and he will communicate his position to court later today in respect of the accused persons that the witnesses were supposed to testify against.
So far, 11 witnesses have given their testimony in the terrorism case against the youths.
Two weeks ago, four of the suspects walked free after the prosecution told court that the would be witnesses to testify against them had died over the two and a half years the youths have been on remand.
The youths are also alleged to have torched Nateete police station including all exbhits and case files during the riots that were sparked off when the Kabaka of Buganda Ronald Mutebi was barred by government from visiting Kayunga district.
justice ralph ochan