Last week, Nsambu petitioned Electoral Commission to disqualify Nsubuga for allegedly running a smear campaign in breach of the campaign guidelines.
Mathias Nsubuga, the Democratic Party candidate for Bukoto south by elections has rejected summons by Electoral Commission to answer accusations of running a smear campaign against his NRM rival John Alintuma Nsambu. Last week, Nsambu petitioned Electoral Commission to disqualify Nsubuga for allegedly running a smear campaign against in breach of the Parliamentary election campaign guidelines.
He accused Nsubuga of paying journalists and media houses such as CBS and Eddoboozi News Paper to run negative stories to arouse hatred amongst voters against him. On Monday, Gracious Aryaija, the Lwengo District Returning Officer summoned Nsubuga to appear before the commission on Thursday to defend himself against the accusations or risk being disqualified from the race.
Nsubuga confirmed to URN receiving the summons but said that he would not waste time going to the Electoral Commission offices because the allegations are baseless. He explained that despite the fact that Nsambu had accused him of paying media houses to run a smear campaign against him, he didn’t attach any evidence to pin him. He denied allegations of influencing any journalists to produce bad stories about his rival.
He however said Nsambu is paying for disrespecting the Kabaka. Gracious Aryaija, the Lwengo returning officer says that he is still waiting before he comments about Nsubuga’s refusal to appear. Nsambu and Nsubuga are contesting alongside five other candidates. They are FDC’s Julius Ssentamu and independents Dan Katula, Robert Rutalo, Joseph Ssebayiki, and Yusuf Lubega Masengere.
The seat fell vacant following a court of appeal ruling in April this year that nullified the election of Muhammed Muyanja Mbabaali. The judges ruled that Mbabaali did not have the requisite academic qualifications for the seat.
bukoto south by-election
parliamantary rules and relugations