Nadduli held a press conference at hotel Brovad in Masaka on Monday, in which he warned that government would ban Kabakaship and abolish Buganda Kingdom unless Nsambu is elected.
Abdul Nadduli, the Luweero LC V chairman has been expelled from the Bukoto south by elections campaigns for allegedly worsening the relationship between Mengo and the NRM candidate, John Alintuma Nsambu. Nadduli stormed Bukoto south constituency together with Ahmed Katerega Musazi, the Bukedde journalist last week, to campaign for John Alintuma Nsambu, the NRM candidate.
Nadduli held a press conference at hotel Brovad in Masaka on Monday, in which he warned that government would ban Kabakaship and abolish Buganda Kingdom unless Nsambu is elected. He also claimed that the refusal by Mengo to forgive Nsambu for his remarks against Kabaka Ronald Mutebi in the previous elections, proves his direct involvement in politics. Nadduli advised the Baganda who treasure their cultural institution to vote for Nsambu to survive the wrath of government.
However, the threats of Nadduli against Buganda Kingdom have sparked off angry reactions from NRM leaders in greater Masaka region campaigning for Nsambu. They have asked the Luweero LC V chairman to vacate Lwengo district and return to his area. George Mutabaazi, the Lwengo LC5 Chairman and Kalungu district Woman MP Florence Kintu say they have asked Nadduli to leave the campaigns because he is causing more harm than good. They allege that the pronouncement by Nadduli against Mengo and the Kabaka has worsened the position of their candidate making it difficult for them to woo voters.
Mutabaazi also accuses Nadduli of storming his district without consulting him as the area LC V chairman, adding that they want him out of the campaigns because he has soiled this efforts. He says the utterances by Nadduli have angered voters and are breeding more trouble for Nsambu instead of winning him support. Florence Kintu, the Kalungu district Woman MP wants Nadduli to apologize to Buganda and leave immediately. She dismisses claims that government can abolish Buganda Kingdom because of Nsambu losing the by-election. Kintu warns Nadduli and other politicians from Buganda to stop from using the Kabaka’s name in the campaigns to woo voters.
On Wednesday, Mengo issued a statement asking Nadduli to stop intimidating Mengo. In the statement, Peter Mayiga, the Mengo Information Minister was quoted saying that no one can just wake up and abolish the Kingdom. He advised voters in Bukoto south to elect a leader who will fight for the return of Buganda properties. But Abdul Nadduli, the embattled Luweero LC V chairman will not have any of this. Nadduli told URN on phone from Brovad Hotel that he will not leave the campaigns.
He said those asking him to leave the Bukoto South by-election campaigns are misguided. Nadduli said that he does not regret his statement and the need to stop Mathis Nsubuga, the DP candidate from dragging the Kabaka into the campaigns. The Bukoto south seat fell vacant after the court of appeal judges nullified the election of Muhammad Muyanja Mbabali over lack of the requisite minimum advanced level qualification. Poling is scheduled for July 12, on Thursday next.
abolition of kabaka
bukoto south by-elections