Parliament has approved a proposal by government to borrow 7 million dollars from the Arab Bank for Economic Development in Africa to construct 21 bridges in West Nile.
The project, which will be implemented under the Ministry of Works, constitutes funding of the first phase in the construction of 66 bridges under the Arab Bank for Economic Development in Africa.
The loan will facilitate 90 percent of the civil works while government will contribute the remaining 10 percent of 800,000 US dollars.
The Chairperson of the parliamentary committee on National Economy, Nandala Mafabi, said the bridges are vital in increasing access to social services and markets for rural communities. It also aims at enhancing regional cooperation through increased access to the Democratic Republic of Congo and Southern Sudan.
Works Minister, John Nasasira, says that the Ministry of works transport and communication will procure modular bridges which will be launched in difficult and inaccessible areas.
Parliament also approved another loan from the International Development Association worth 135 million dollars to support the implementation of the Poverty Eradication Action Plan