The head of the Makerere University Institute of Languages, Michael Wangotta, has said the teaching of local languages at the university has been greatly affected by shortfalls in funding.
Wangotta says the Institute cannot expand and grow due to lack of funds. He says the lack of finances means that it is difficult to recruit full-time lecturers to meet the ever increasing student enrollment numbers at Makerere.
Wangotta wants Government to review its funding policy and increase financing for Arts subjects as well as Sciences. The State spends about 80 percent of its budget on at Makerere on science subjects, leaving only a miserly 20 percent for the arts and humanities.
//Cue in: iOne of them #i
Cue out: i# cannot develop the country.i//
Wangotta says the success of multi-lingual literacy in Uganda will entirely depend on strong financial support.