The Electoral Commission has sacked six officials over financial mismanagement. The six District Registrars withdrew over 130 million shillings from the Commission's Accounts without authorization from management. The funds were meant for conducting the Local Council elections in 2006. The process was halted after the Forum for Democratic Change, (FDC) petitioned the Court of Appeal contesting the legitimacy of the elections. Peter Ojede, the Commissions Human Resource Manager confirms that the six officials were handed their sack letters early this week. They are Rosemary Nalubega, the Returning officer for Mubende who swindled 11.9 million shillings, Israel Bakulumpagi the returning officer for Kampala who swindled 19 million shillings and Abdu Mutungye the returning officer for Busia who failed to account for 24 million shillings. Others are Ibrahim Makki the returning officer for Masindi who failed to account for 16 million shillings and Stanley Kamya from Mukono who took 15 million shillings. Peter Ojede says another official Richard Bala the returning officer for Nebbi is on the run after disappearing with over 47 million shillings. The District Registrars who double as Returning officers are mandated to manage finances but under the supervision of the Commission's Secretary. Ojede says the Commission's Board sat on Tuesday last week and resolved to dismiss the six officials after they failed to refund the full amount of money. He says the officers were given a grace period of four months within which to refund the money. Cue in: iA thorough investigation# Cue out: #the funds.i// Meanwhile 17 other returning officers are on suspension over similar charges of financial mismanagement. A highly placed official within the Commission says the officers refunded all the money they had withdrawn but earned three months suspension as a disciplinary measure for abuse of office. The official says the Commission has already taken a decision to demote the officers upon return from the suspension.