Flood victims in Kibaale district are complaining as delivery of government relief items delays. Although Major General Julius Oketta, the Director National Emergency Coordination and Operations in the Office of the Prime Minister, said that the items would be delivered on Thursday, by Friday evening nothing had been delivered.
On Wednesday, Major General Julius Oketta, the Director National Emergency Coordination and Operations in the Office of the Prime Minister, visited the area and pledged emergency relief aid to the victims.
Although Oketta pledged that the items would be delivered on Thursday, by Friday evening nothing had been delivered. This angered the victims who are now camped at Rwebigaga trading centre in Birembo Sub County.
On Friday, the group threatened to storm the homes of area local leaders in search of food and shelter accusing government of neglecting them. Harriet Nohiri, a mother of nine says her family is now starving and wonders why government is taking days to deliver the relief items.
Nohiri says she will soon lead the group members to storm homes of area local leaders to demand for food and shelter as they are now starving.
Emmanuel Bizimana, the Rwebigasa village Chairperson, says some of the victims are now turning to gardens of the neighbors for food. Bizimana fears that this could lead to conflict.
In a telephone interview, Major General Oketta blamed the delays on transport limitations. He revealed however that the consignment was already packed maintaining that before the end of Saturday the items will be delivered.
Government pledged aid in form of food, tents, beddings and medication to cater for the flood victims.
Floods from River Nguse on Monday night submerged the villages of Rwebigaga and Kiyanja in Birembo Sub County killing two persons and displacing 500 others. The water is yet to subside.