The Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) has withdrawn the national womenâ€™s team from the on-going Under 20 World Cup qualifiers.
Edgar Watson, the FA Chief Executive Officer, confirmed the development last evening to URN. The communication informed all stakeholders that the Uganda U-20 women national team has been withdrawn from the African Preliminaries competition of FIFA U20 women World Cup Canada 2014.
Uganda’s team was slated to face Ghana on December 7 in the first leg of the second round. They had qualified for the next round after humiliating visiting South Sudan 13-0 in the return leg played at the Lugogo Stadium last month to go through on a 22-0 goal aggregate.
Watson said it is an unfortunate incident, but added that it was the best option because the FA was not doing well financially and had to get priorities right.
Watson further explained that having assessed that the new trend requires one to have substantial amount of funds to prepare and organize for the home and away matches with Ghana (and Equatorial Guinea or Zambia in-case of qualification to the next round within a period of 7 weeks). He said FUFA could not commit the funds at the expense of other women football activities scheduled for the football calendar year.
However, an insider told URN that the FA President Moses Magogo had taken a personal stand on withdrawing the team without getting clearance by the entire executive. Last month the new FA President Moses Magogo said that they had spent over $50,000 to take the team to South Sudan which was a very expensive venture.
Hasifa Nassuna who is one of the star players of the team said she is very disappointed. A bitter Nasuuna said they worked so hard to qualify for the next level and now it is disappointing that they are out in such a way.