2500 south Sudanese Flee Juba Ahead of Machar's Return

741 Views Kampala, Uganda

In short
Titus Jogo, the Refugee Desk Officer in the Office of the Prime Minister in Adjuman district says more than 2500 South Sudanese nationals from Juba have crossed into Uganda for the last one week.

At least 2,500 South Sudanese nationals have crossed into Uganda ahead of the expected return of former rebel leader, Dr. Riek Machar to Juba as first vice president. Dr. Machar is the chairman of Sudan People's Liberation Movement in Opposition (SPLM-IO). 

He was set to be sworn in to office this morning but the function was postponed to Tuesday due to logistical problems. The expected return of Machar to Juba has forced several South Sudanese to cross into Uganda citing tension in their country. Titus Jogo, the Refugee Desk Officer in the Office of the Prime Minister in Adjuman district says more than 2500 South Sudanese nationals from Juba have crossed into Uganda for the last one week.
 
Jogo explains that they have been receiving between 300 and 400 South Sudanese nationals on a daily basis since the influx started. According to Jogo, some of the people claim that their homes have been occupied by soldiers who were ordered out of Juba ahead of the expected return of Machar.

//Cue in: "These SPLA's who were…
Cue out: …who are joining their families?"//

He says after receiving the new arrivals, they are immediately resettled in the various settlement areas across the country.

//Cue in: "They continue coming until…"
Cue out: …we don't have any deficiency."//


Leaders of some of the districts hosting the South Sudanese nationals have appealed to the Office of the Prime Minister to ensure the refugees don't cross with firearms. Sam Wadri Nyakua, the Arua LC V chairperson, says on many occasions South Sudanese refugees cross with firearms, which they use to threaten locals.

John Gale, the Chairperson South Sudanese Community in Koboko district, says many of them are fleeing because they are worried that peace may not return to the country as expected. In a letter to ceasefire monitors last week, SPLA acknowledged that it still has 3,420 troops in Juba, the maximum number allowed under the peace agreement.
 
Any troops outside the new site and Ceremonial Grounds, Tiger Headquarters, Bilpham Headquarters, Ground Force Headquarters and the National Security Service at Gudele will not be allowed.

 

About the author

Ronald Batre
Ronald Batre is so passionate about journalism that he did not wait to finish school before he started his career. This is how he started with Radio Paidha, The West Niler, Daily Monitor newspapers and later with Radio Pacis as Assistant News Editor.

To be allowed to practice his passion, Batre had struck a deal with his parents. He would complete his education. He kept his word and went through school while suporting himself with his journalism.

Entering the workplace so young attuned Batre to the plight of the youth and those who seek employment. Apart from that, he is interested in reporting about politics, local government, business and the environment. A witness to some of the destructive impact of the Lord's Resistance Army rebellion in northern Uganda, Batre is interested in reporting about peace building efforts too.

Uganda Radio Network's former Gulu bureau chief, Batre is now based in Kampala. He is URN's main politics correspondent. He has been a URN staff member since 2009.