Court Disowns Terror Suspects Torture Claim

1742 Views

In short
The High Court in Kampala has disallowed the torture claims by one of the key suspects, Issa Luyima in the on-going trial of the 2010 Kampala twin bomb suspects.

Luyima had told court that the confession statement he recorded was not voluntarily taken from him.
 
Issa Luyima on Wednesday told court that he had been tortured by security Joint Anti-Terrorism Task Force (JATT) officials forcing him to that he was behind the terror bombing in Kampala.
 
Luyima also told court that his confession statement was obtained out of fear urging court to remove it from its record.
 
Luyima had made the confession statement before then Buganda Road Court magistrate Francis Kobusheshe but was turning around to disown it in the ongoing trial in Kampala.
 
Presiding judge, Alphonse Owiny - Dollo however today ruled that Luyima voluntarily confessed to masterminding the bombings at Kyaddondo Rugby grounds and Ethiopian Village Restaurant in Kabalagala.
 
Justice Owinyi-Dollo said he had evaluated the evidence in the trial and was fully satisfied that the extra judicial statement by Luyima was freely given. He promised to give his reasons to this decision in his final judgment.
 
Subsequently, the judge allowed the prosecution side to tender in the same confession statement to form part of the court record.
 
Luyima on Wednesday went to the extent of undressing before the judge effort to show scars that were as a result of the alleged torture.
 
He claimed the Joint Anti-Terrorism Task Force officials had promised to forgive him if he admitted before the media and to the court for being the mastermind of the bombings.
 
In a related development, another prosecution witness, detective Moses Kato from Criminal Intelligence and Investigations Department(CIID) took to the witness stand and testified against the bomb suspects.
 
Kato's appearance was in relation with the charge and caution statement he had recorded from Muhammed Ali Muhammed, one of the suspects on trial.
 
Kato told court that the suspect had told him of how his Al-shabaab boss in Kenya hid a box that contained dangerous substances in his house until they were finally transported to Uganda for the mission that led to the death of over 76 football fans. Further hearing of this case is for Tuesday next week.