Fire Guts Wairaka College School Dormitory

1826 Views Jinja, Uganda

In short
Stephen Isabirye, a resident of the gutted Albertine dormitory told Uganda Radio Network that the students who were attending night preps were alerted by a cloud of thick smoke that was emitted from the dormitory that housed about 60 learners.

A fire has gutted a boy's dormitory at Wairaka College School in Jinja district, destroying all property. It's not clear what sparked off the Saturday night fire. 



Stephen Isabirye, a resident of the gutted Albertine dormitory told Uganda Radio Network that the students who were attending night preps were alerted by a cloud of thick smoke that was emitted from the dormitory that housed about 60 learners. 



"We were in night preps when a huge smoke suddenly erupted, actually, most of us had anticipated that it was garbage only to realize later that one of our dormitories was on fire," he says. 



Jackson Omoding, another student says that the students combined efforts to stop the fire from spreading further, in vain. It was however stopped by the intervention of the Police Fire Brigade. 



James Modi, a teacher at the school says that the fire outbreak was preceded by rounds of power interruptions. 



//Cue in; "I was also…  

Cue out…maybe possible cause."// 




Hildah Namutosi, the school head teacher, says that the buildings at the school are very old and the fire might have resulted from poor wiring.  





//Cue in; "the students were… 

Cue out…with the wiring."//





Collins Agaba, the Kiira Region Police Fire Officer confirms that the fire resulted from a short circuit. Agaba further cautions school heads to ensure fire safety measures like bed spacing dormitories which can help save property in case of fire outbreaks.