Museveni Says Al-Shabaab Killed 19 Soldiers Top story

10548 Views

In short
President Yoweri Museveni has contradicted the army on the number of soldiers killed in Somalia two weeks ago by the Al-Shabaab insurgents.

President Yoweri Museveni has said 19 soldiers were killed and six were missing following the September 1, 2015 attack by the Al-Shabaab insurgents on its base in Somalia.  This contradicts the figure of 10, given by the army in a press statement and also State Minister of Defence Jeje Odong to Parliament. 

The president blamed the laxity of the Ugandan commanders for the losses and said they will be court martial for "being asleep" on duty.
 
"It was the mistake of our own soldiers," the AP quoted President Museveni. "Our commanders were asleep, not alert. And we have suspended those commanders. They will face court martial."

Museveni was addressing journalists at Akasaka Palace state guesthouse in Tokyo Saturday, September 12, 2015 at the end of his visit to discuss the Uganda-Japan relations.
 
UPDF spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Paddy Ankunda, declined to comment on the figures given by the President. He said the Commander-in-Chief had been briefed about the Janale attack.
 
The Uganda Peoples Defence Forces are part of an African Union Peace Keeping Mission in Somalia (Amisom) to help the war torn country fight the Al-Shabaab insurgents.
 
The insurgent group claims it killed 56 Ugandan soldiers at the Amisom base in Janale, 65 kilometers southwest of the Somalia capital Mogadishu.
 
While the Ugandan army claims it killed 46 Al-Shabaab insurgents.