Govt Gives UGX 300,000 For Burial Of Bududa Landslide Victim

2152 Views Bududa, Eastern Region, Uganda

In short
The government through the Office of the Prime Minister has contributed 300,000 shillings for the burial of John Mangoye, the 4-year-old boy who was killed by landslides in Bududa district on Saturday.

The government through the Office of the Prime Minister has contributed 300,000 shillings for the burial of John Mangoye, the 4-year-old boy who was killed by landslides in Bududa district on Saturday.

The money was handed over on Monday to the family of the deceased by Vincent Waboya, the Principal Disaster Officer in the office of the Prime Minister (OPM).

Maboya told URN that the money was meant for buying the coffin and also cater for other associated burial expenses. He however declined to disclose to URN how much government had delivered arguing that it was not necessary for the public to know.

//Cue in: “And the boy…
Cue out: …that is enough.”//

But John Baptist Nambeshe, the Bududa district chairperson told URN that the officials from the OPM who represented government gave only 300,000 shillings towards the deceased’s burial expenses, something he says was just peanuts.

Nambeshe says the money was too little to meet the burial expenses. The local council chairperson is however skeptical whether the contribution was from government.

He suspects that the two officials from the OPM who delivered the money to the deceased’s family could have actually made their own contribution to disguise as government.

//Cue in: “So far they…
Cue out: …abject hunger.”//

Stephen Waninga, the father of the deceased was equally shocked at the government’s contribution towards the burial expenses. Waninga says where as he is grateful for the little contribution, he expected more than that from government.

He is also worried that if government can contribute only such a little money for the life lost, she may not give anything reasonable in terms of relief aid to the survivors.

The 300,000 shillings contribution has sparked criticized among the survivors most who are faulting government for alleged negligence.

Beatrice Nandutu, a survivor who virtually lost all her household properties after the water from River Manafwa swept away her house, says besides neglecting calls to relocate those living on the risky slopes of Mt Elgon, it was a shame for government to give such little contribution.

Another survivor, Mary Waboya blames government for its slow response in delivering relief aids to the survivors most of who she says have lost all their properties to the mudslides.

The deceased’s body was laid to rest on Monday afternoon at his ancestral home in Matuwa village Bushiyi Sub County.

He was the only person killed by the Saturday mudslides that swept 16 villages in Bushiyi Sub County. The landslides also injured 18 people and destroyed several acres of crop gardens.

 

About the author

Denis Olaka
Denis Olaka is the URN bureau chief for Lira, in northern Uganda. Apac and Otuke fall under his docket. Olaka has been a URN staff member since 2011.

Olaka started his journalism career in 2000 as a news reporter, anchor, and then editor for Radio Lira in Lira district. He was subsequently an editor with Lira's Radio Wa in 2004 and Gulu district's Mega FM.

He was also a freelance writer for the Daily Monitor and Red Pepper newspapers.

Olaka's journalism focuses on politics, health, agriculture and education. He does a lot of crime reporting too.