Juba Crisis: 9,000 Enter Uganda

1567 Views Kampala, Uganda

In short
About 306 Kenyan, 269 South Sudanese,14 Burundians, eight Eritreans, two British nationals, four Rwandan nationals entered the country from South Sudan over the weekend alone.

Over 9000 Ugandans and foreigners fleeing conflict in South Sudan have entered the country in the past five days.
 
The spokesperson of the evacuation team, Lt Hassan Kato told URN that over 9000 people have been evacuated; 3,155 were brought last week on Friday and a second batch of 4,500 arrived Sunday night.
 
In addition, an estimated 700 people found their way into the country while vulnerable ones like children, pregnant women and the sick were airlifted by the army chopper into the capital Kampala.
 
Kato says more people are arriving at the assembly points at Gumbo Market and Uganda embassy in Juba and as of Monday, July 18, about 200 more Ugandans had assembled at Gumbo Market in Juba, waiting to be evacuated.
 
The evacuation followed renewed fighting between soldiers loyal to South Sudan President Salva Kiir and Vice President Riek Machar. The dispute saw at least 300 people killed and thousands displaced.
 
According to Aswa Regional police spokesperson Patrick Jimmy Okema, over the weekend, 306 Kenyans entered Uganda from South Sudan, 269 South Sudanese, 14 Burundians, eight Eritreans, two British nationals and four Rwandans.
 
The number of vehicles that have since entered the country was estimated at 700 by Sunday.


It is estimated by the boarder authorities that about 200 people fleeing from the war  enter Uganda daily.
 
 
Timeline

July 7:  Fighting breaks out between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and Vice President Riek Machar at Lou clinic, in Gudele Road, capital Juba.

July 8:  About 100 soldiers, loyal to the two principals are killed.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned the fight and calls for peace.

July 10: Fighting broke out in Jebel and residence of Vice President Riek Machar.
Intergovernmental Authority on Development called on the two principals to ceasefire and dialogue. United Nations Mission in South Sudan records over 1000 IDPs.

July 11: Riek Machar and Salva Kiir unilaterally order ceasefire.

July 12: President Museveni orders military to evacuate Ugandans caught up South Sudan.

July 14: UPDF falls into an ambush. Three soldiers sustained minor injuries.

July 15: First batch of about 3000 Ugandans arrive home.

July 16: Salva Kiir calls Machar for talks.  
 

 

About the author

Alex Otto
“Journalism that changes lives is my goal,” Alex Otto has said on more than one occasion. That is his career’s guiding principle. Has been since he was a radio journalist in the northern Ugandan town of Gulu in 2009.

Otto passionately believes his journalism should bring to the fore the voices of the voiceless like the shooting victims of Apaa. Otto tries in his journalism to ask tough questions to those in positions of authority.

Based in the Kampala bureau, Otto is especially interested in covering agriculture, politics, education, human rights, crime, environment and business. He has reported intensively on the post-conflict situation in northern Uganda.

A URN staff member since 2014, Otto previously worked with The Observer Newspaper from 2012 to 2013 and later the Institute for War and Peace Reporting IWPR based in Gulu.

He was the URN Gulu bureau chief 2014-2016.