Lwengo Woman Killed in House Fire on Christmas

1524 Views Lwengo, Uganda

In short
Noah Sserunjoji, the Southern Region Police Spokesperson says by the time police arrived at the scene it was too late to save anything as the house was already burnt down.

Fire has gutted a house in Kyazanga Town council in Lwengo district on Christmas night killing one person. The deceased has been identified as Rosemary Nantume, a resident of Kyazanga zone in Kyazanga town council. 



It is believed that the fire started from a candle that was left unattended by the deceased when she returned home drunk. The candle reportedly fell on the clothes on the ground before spreading to other parts of the house. 



The deceased's neighbors say they saw smoke coming out of her house and rushed to put it out before calling police but they couldn't save her life. Noah Sserunjoji, the Southern Region Police Spokesperson says by the time police arrived at the scene it was too late to save anything as the house was already burnt down.
 
 
Sserunjoji warns residents against excessive drinking during this festive period saying the deceased wouldn't have left the candle burning if she wasn't drunk by the time she went to bed. He advises residents to always attend police sensitization meetings about fire to get equipped with fire fighting skills.

 

Tagged with: lango lwengo