MAK Lecturers Appeal to Museveni Over Welfare

1736 Views Kampala, Uganda

In short
Dr. Deus Muhwezi Kamunyu, the MUASA Publicist says the lecturers voted painfully to end the strike amidst disappointment by the university council and management.

 Makerere University Academic Staff Association-MUASA has called on President, Yoweri Museveni to address the issues in Makerere University to avoid future strike.  
 
It came minutes after the MUASA General Assembly voted to end their strike, which started on October 26th to protest none payment of their eight month salary incentives.
 

Dr. Deus Muhwezi Kamunyu, the MUASA Publicist says the lecturers voted painfully to end the strike amidst disappointment by the university council and management.
 

//Cue in: "We suspend this…
Cue out: ...the university council."//
 
According to Dr. Kamunyu, they have pegged their hopes on the visitation committee and president, Museveni in his capacity as a Visitor of the university.

 
//Cue in: "Our only hope…
Cue out: ...once and for all."//
 
 
During the Assembly, Chris Mpirirwe a lecturer in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences-CHUSS wondered why government is reluctant to take over the entire wage bill of Makerere University like the case if with other universities.
 
He expressed disappointment in the leadership of Makerere University for failing to declare the exact number of students and how much the university collects in tuition from students.

 
//Cue in: "Mr. Chairman some of us …
Cue out: ... all these years."//
 
Under the current arrangement, Makerere University contributes 40 percent to the wage bill from internally generated funds while government meets the remaining 60 percent.
 
Whereas Makerere University contributes to its staff salaries, government pays 100% of staff salaries in other public universities.
 
Earlier on Dr. Busingye Kabumba, a Human Rights and International Law don at Makerere appealed to staff not call off the strike until their concerns are addressed.

 
 //Cue in: "We went on strike …
Cue out: ... more foolish then."//
 

 

About the author

Davidson Ndyabahika
Davidson Ndyabahika is a Journalism major from Makerere University and is passionate about investigative and data journalism with special interest in feature story telling.

He has gone through digital and multi-media training both at Ultimate Multimedia Consult, and has attended Data Journalism Sessions at ACME to enrich his capacity in data journalism.

Davidson has previously freelanced with The Campus Times, The Observer, Chimp reports and URN. He is currently reporting under Education. He is also passionate about reporting on environment, health, crime and political satire writing.

Follow him on Twitter: @dndyaba