Makerere Could Lose Staff - VC Top story

3413 Views Kampala, Uganda

In short
Prof. John Ddumba Ssentamu, the Vice Chancellor Makerere University has said that the university risks losing staff to other institutions if the current stand-off is not resolved.

Prof. John Ddumba Ssentamu, the Vice Chancellor Makerere University has said that the university risks losing staff to other institutions if the current stand-off is not resolved. 

Speaking to URN in an interview, Prof. Ssentamu prayed that members of staff do not get pushed to look elsewhere for employment as the university remains closed.
 
 //Cue in: "Of course I ... 
Cue out: ...reopen the University."// 

President Yoweri Museveni closed Makerere University on November 1st after lecturers failed to agree with Council and management over their unpaid incentive arrears amounting to 28 billion shillings.
 
Following the disagreements, lecturers declared a strike on October 25 saying they would not return to class if the university does not pay their incentive arrears dating back to February this year.
 
Last week, Dr. Charles Wana-Etyem, the Chairman Makerere University Council wrote to all staff informing them that the university would not be able to pay their salaries as long as the closure continues. Dr Wana-Etyem reasoned that the institution only gets money when it is open and students are paying tuition.
 
All staff including lecturers have since not received their November and the University insists there is no money to pay them.
 
Prof. Ssentamu's worry to lose staff comes in handy after some staff threatened to take on other job offers from other institutions in the region and other organisations if the current stand-off persists.
 
Dr. William Tayeebwa, the head of journalism and communication department, told URN that if the situation remains like this without any serious intervention from stakeholders including government, the staff will have fewer reasons to remain at Makerere University when there are big offers elsewhere.  
 
Several reports including the 2014 Omaswa Report have found that Makerere University is understaffed. The 2015 Auditor General's report for example noted that out of 2,774 established academic positions, only 1,333 (48%) are filled, leaving a staffing gap of 1,441 positions (52%).
 
Tayeebwa recommends that government should bail out the institution so that work normalises at Makerere lest staff are threatened to go.
 
//Cue in: "Government is bailing…
Cue out: …we would understand."//
 
He said that their programmes are very marketable and that once their issues are not looked at urgently, staff might be demotivated and forced to get jobs elsewhere.

//Cue in: "If our arrears…
Cue in: …that is the position."//

 

About the author

Davidson Ndyabahika
Davidson Ndyabahika is a Journalism major from Makerere University and is passionate about investigative and data journalism with special interest in feature story telling.

He has gone through digital and multi-media training both at Ultimate Multimedia Consult, and has attended Data Journalism Sessions at ACME to enrich his capacity in data journalism.

Davidson has previously freelanced with The Campus Times, The Observer, Chimp reports and URN. He is currently reporting under Education. He is also passionate about reporting on environment, health, crime and political satire writing.

Follow him on Twitter: @dndyaba