Relocation Of Kaabong Landslide Victims Flops Again

2233 Views Kaabong, Uganda

In short
The relocation exercise for the victims of the last week’s landslide in Kaabong district has for the second time with residents accusing government of neglecting them.

The relocation exercise for the victims of the last week’s landslide in Kaabong district has for the second time with residents accusing government of neglecting them.
 
The exercise was earlier scheduled for Monday this week but was deferred to Thursday.
 
Musa Ecweru, the State Minister for disaster preparedness on Thursday evening told Uganda Radio Network that government is not directly committed to relocating the victims.
 
He says government has asked the residents in the 23 villages located on the slopes of Kaabong hill to voluntarily relocate to safer flat areas.
 
Ecweru said government early this week gave relief assistance to the victims to facilitate their relocation.
 
The relief assistance includes 100 pieces of iron sheets, 20,000 kgs of beans, 20,000 kgs of maize flour and 150 pieces of saucepans.

Midi Komol Peter, the Kaabong district LC 5 chairman, however says the assistance is not enough for all the victims.
 
He appeals for more support from the Prime Minister’s office and other humanitarian agencies so as the victims are relocated as fast as possible.
 
Midi says the district leaders are cannot advise the victims to relocate to safer areas, when they are sure there is nothing to give them to facilitate their stay in the new areas.
 
He also notes that their continued stay is posing more risk as the rains continue to devastate the area.
 
Samuel Longori, one of the victims says they can not relocate to the new site when they have nothing in place for a living.
 
He explains that their crops in the gardens, which were their only hope for survival, have all been washed away by the heavy rains.
 
Longori, who claims that government has neglected their problems, appeals to humanitarian agencies to give them tents to construct the temporary accommodation and household relief items to start new life.
  
Longori wonders how government could give them only 40,000kgs of relief food to cater for the entire 23,000 victims.
 
He says they are aware that their continued stay in the area poses a big risk but they can not afford to go to the new site empty handed.
 
Longori stresses that they would rather die of the landslides instead of going to the new site empty handed and die of starvation.
 
On Tuesday last week, mudslides killed at least seven people and hundreds more were displaced in Kawalakol Sub County.