UPDATED: Security Rounds Up All Kampala Bombing Suspects

1606 Views
A total of 81 suspects connected with the July 11th bomb attacks in Kampala have been arrested. James Mugira, the head of military intelligence, told reporters in Kampala today that the security agents have apprehended all those who were involved in the planning the bomb attacks at the Rugby Club and Ethiopian Village. The four Ugandan suspects who executed the attacks were paraded before the media. Three of the suspects - Issa Ahmed Luyima, Hassan Haruna Luyima and Idris Nsubuga are brothers. Issa Ahmed Luyima, admitted that he was a member of the Al-shabab, the Islamic militant group that claimed responsibility for the July 11 bomb attacks in Kampala. Luyima said that he joined the Al-shabab in 2009 motivated by his deep rage against the Americans. He added that he was responsible for sourcing the bomb making materials. He said that he was sorry for the deaths of the 76 people who perished in the attacks. Idris Nsubuga, on his part told reporters that his brother Luyima lured him into the deal. Sounding remorseful for the heinous act, Nsubuga said the he was merely used to execute the terrorists deal through surveillance, and delivering the bombs. Nsubuga narrated that he was originally supposed to detonate the bomb at the rugby club, but he cowed out of the deal out of fright. He however admits that he instead planted the bomb under one of the tables. The Inspector General of Police, Kale Kaihura, said that Intelligence sources have learnt that the Al-shabab are training several recruits from Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi. Kaihura said that the recruits are being trained in a camp called Foreign Fighters Camp in Somalia. Meanwhile, an Eritrean national has been arrested in Gulu for his alleged connection with the July 11th Bomb Blasts in Kampala. Medhanie Mehan Ogbe was arrested at a lodge in Gulu town. He said the suspect claimed he had entered Uganda from Eritrea through Sudan and Koboko district in West Nile sub region. Milton Odongo, the chairman of the district security committee, says Ogbe was found in possession of an expired temporary identification document indicating that he is a refugee from Eritrea. The document was issued on October 17 2008, by the Directorate of refugees in the Office of the Prime Minister and expired on March 30 2009. Johnson Kilama, the northern regional police spokesperson, says Ogbe claimed he had gone to Gulu to explore business opportunities in the hotel sector. The suspect also claimed that he has a brother identified as Missi Mehari who operates a restaurant and a lodge in Arua town. Police say Ogbe's arrest brings to four the number of Eritrean nationals, arrested over the past three days. The others are Hanok Ghebreikun, Awet Ghebreikun and Medhaim Cleme. The trio was arrested on Thursday last week from a lodge in Gulu town. Kilama adds that all suspects have been transferred to police headquarters in Kampala, for screening. The screening is intended to establish whether or not the suspects have any connections with the July 11 bombings, in which 76 people were killed at the Ethiopian Village and Kyadondo rugby club in Kampala.

 

Tagged with: bombs